Wednesday 4 March 2009

Fifth Avenue Envy

Usually, I'm utterly convinced I live in the best city in the world. German bookwise, Berlin is probably the best place in the world to be - there are great publishers here, authors by the hundreds, incredibly literary institutions and of course thousands of readings.

But there are times when other places start looking very attractive from the German booklover's perspective. And right now, that place is New York. As I've mentioned, Krautgarden kicks off there tonight, followed next month by the PEN World Voices Festival featuring a couple of really great German writers. And just so no one misses anything, the Goethe Institut now has a splendiferous blog to keep you up to date on events, press coverage, new translations and all that other essential information.

Next week, of course, I'll have my envy in check, as I'll be attending what I'd definitely define as the world's best book fair for those enamoured of Teutonic writing: Leipzig!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! I've subscribed to your blog via RSS and am enjoying your impressions from Berlin. I can assure you the envy goes both ways!

kjd said...

Ah, the grass is always greener...